"Our Father in Heaven has given us, His children, much more than any mortal mind can comprehend. Under His direction the Great Jehovah created this wonderous world we live in . God the Father watches over us, fills our hearts with breathtaking joy, brightens our darkest hours with blessed peace, distills upon our minds precious truths, shepherds us through times of distress, rejoices when we rejoice, and answers our righteous petitions." Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Love of God," Ensign, Nov. 2009



Monday, June 15, 2009

Lets play Name that Plant!

Ok we planted a garden this year and it would have probably done a lot better if all the rain hadn’t drown most of it. The tomatoes are doing great we have about 30 plants or more of all kinds of tomatoes. A few of our squash or cucumber plants made it. The leaf looks the same to me so I’m not positive but I know its one or the other. These are a few of the plants that survived and I have no idea what they are! Do You????? Can anyone help????IMG_0399

1 this one is kind of like a vine about 4-5 feet now growing on the ground. No blooms, no vegetable yet. Any ideas????

IMG_0400

2 These are next to each other no idea what it is. It also has no blooms and no vegetable yet. It’s about foot and half to 2 feet tall???

IMG_0401

3 This I think is a bean. We only planted green beans. But we didn’t plant them in this row. It does have tiny white flowers on it so I guess we’ll find out for sure in a few weeks what it is????

IMG_0402

4 There are 2 of these no blooms, no vegetable. I think they are maybe okra plants but I don’t know they are about foot and half tall. ?????

IMG_0403

5 last one it’s about 2-3 feet tall no blooms, no vegetable, and it is growing in the middle of two rows.  Not sure what or why it is there. There are a lot of weeds growing around everything but none of them look like this so I figured it was a veggie????? Any Suggestions

We planted a lot of different things: Cauliflower, okra green beans, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, lettuces, spinach, purple carrots, watermelon, squash, cucumbers, about 3 different pepper plants. I think that was it. Some of these I have never seen grow so I have no idea what they look like, and the seed packages i ordered online were all gold wrappers no pictures!

3 comments:

Katheryn said...

Ummm, I have no clue. We have a garden too, but I really don't know anything about it! I usually don't know what plant it is until we actually see something growing on it.

Ilene said...

(This is what Glenn wrote back to me) Too bad you can't eat weeds :)

Dear Ilene,

Thanks for all the pictures of the flowers. They look really great. Glad to hear that the narcissus bloomed.

The first plant in the pictures is probably a sweet potato that has come up from others planted in the past. It probably won't produce any sweet potatoes. They grow from slips grown from the main plant. Sweet potato slips need to be planted before July 4th to produce sweet potatoes before frost. May not be time now to grow roots (slips). You could give it a try . Just cut the plant with leaf joints and put them in water and roots should grow. Plant the slips with roots in the ground and they should grow. The rows needs to be hilled up so the potatoes have soft ground to grow in. The vines will need alot of room to run. Haven't tried letting the vines run on trellises. I guess it is possible, to save room in the garden.

Number 2 and 5 look like weeds.

The 3rd one with the little white flowers is a green bean.

Number 4 is an Okra plant. We haven't had alot of luck with okra. This one looks great and needs alot of hot weather. The okra also needs to be cut before it gets hard for the plant to keep producing.

Hope this helps.

Love
Glenn and Lonnis

Melinda said...

Who says you can't eat weeds? I bet the pioneers ate many a weed.

I knew #3 was a bean, and I think #5 looks like a pepper plant. Other than that I have no idea. Good thing Dad knows! Only he and Granddaddy could grow a plant from a stem!

Good luck with the garden. Did yall plant any pickles?