"Our Father in Heaven has given us, His children, much more than any mortal mind can comprehend. Under His direction the Great Jehovah created this wonderous world we live in . God the Father watches over us, fills our hearts with breathtaking joy, brightens our darkest hours with blessed peace, distills upon our minds precious truths, shepherds us through times of distress, rejoices when we rejoice, and answers our righteous petitions." Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Love of God," Ensign, Nov. 2009



Sunday, November 2, 2008

Strangers in the Box


I was trying to find questions that I could ask my grandparents to do an interview with them to get as much information as I could from them about them, (my grandparents are all still living, and I have a great grandmother still alive!) and stumbled across this poem. I shared it with Lonnis before she left on her mission I believe she had it posted somewhere in the FHC library. I actually have a box full of pictures I got from my mom. I am suppose to be putting them into scrapbooks for her. I’ve had them for almost 5 years and there still sitting in the box. I need to get busy! Thought I would share it….

Strangers in the Box

Come, look with me inside this drawer,

In this box, I’ve often seen,

At the pictures, black and white,

Faces proud, still serene;

I wish I knew these people

These strangers in the box.
Their names and all their memories

Are lost among my socks;

I wonder what their lives were like,

How did they spend their days?

What about their special times?

I’ll never know their ways.

If only someone had taken time

To tell who, what, where and when,

These faces of my heritage

Would come to life again.
Could this become the fate

Of the picture we take today?

The faces and the memories

Someday will pass away.

Make time to save your stories;

Seize opportunity when it knocks,

Or someday you and yours could be

The strangers in this box!

Author unknown

2 comments:

Katheryn said...

That is a beautiful poem. Thank you so much for sharing!

The Babkm5 said...

That is a great poem. I guess for me I have never really done any family geneology because my mom has always loved doing it...I have counted on her. It would probably be a good idea to get some info so that I could get to know my ancestors and maybe have stories to share with my children and then they can pass it on with thier children and so on.